Grant Associates worked with the Natural History Museum, Ten Alps and Land Design Studio to develop the design concept and installation of the UK Pavilion for Expo 2005 in Japan. The expo opened in April 2005 and ran until September 2005, under the theme of ‘Natures Wisdom’.
- Internal exhibition celebrated scientific innovation, whilst an external exhibition zone examined the human effect on the natural world
- External zone formed a setting for a sequence of special artworks by leading UK artists
- Each artist was set an ecological theme, such as deforestation or river pollution, to inspire their piece
- The external garden also functioned as an interactive queuing space capturing the spirit of a wild British Woodland
- Densely planted Lime trees enhanced the impact of the woodland, providing welcome shade and dappled sunlight
- The trees were underplanted with a sequence of seasonal flora displays of native British species; Daffodils, Blue Bells, Foxgloves, Angelic, Ferns