Highly Commended in The Flora Locale Planting for Biodiversity Awards 2006
Osprey Quay is a former Royal Navy air station, in Portland Dorset, which hosted the sailing facilities for the 2012 Olympic Games.
Grant Associates worked with SWRDA as landscape design consultants for the mixed-use regeneration of Osprey Quay. The landscape strategy encourages use and enjoyment of the area by the public and provides a significant local ecological resource.
In 2006, Osprey Quay was highly commended at the Flora Locale Planting for Biodiversity Awards, and won a special award at the Weymouth Civic Society annual awards.
- 1km long planted flood bund forms a bold visual edge to Osprey Quay, enhancing the ecological integrity of Portland Road and Chesil Beach
- Seeds of local coastal wildflower species were collected and planted in linear strips along the length of the bund
- A series of ‘Snugs’ – sheltered and comfortable seating spaces – have been installed along the waterfront promenade, set within a 200-metre linear strip of common reed planting
- Colourful vitreous enamel panels set on curved gabion walls guide visitors and highlight site entrances, as well as helping create a consistent visual language and identity throughout
- Information badges on the observation point provide facts and insights into the surrounding area