Winner of The 2007 Civic Trust Awards for Sustainability
Heelis is the National Trust’s eco-friendly central office, based in Swindon and designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios. As landscape architects on the project, our objective was to create a very simple and functional landscape based around the themes of regeneration and practicality, providing people with usable and enjoyable spaces.
- A unified design, featuring geometric blocks of planting, along with a limited palette of paving materials, fencing benches and lighting
- A sequence of distinct areas associated with each elevation of the new building
- Bold, dense planting of birch and other pioneer vegetation to echo the original natural state of the land alongside the nearby rail lines and waste grounds
- Hornbeam and Lime enclose the northern boundary of the property
- Geometric beds of lavender and alliums extend from the building into the outdoor spaces, merging the architecture into the landscape