MOD Caversfield is considered to be the best preserved RAF air base in the country. Many of the buildings are listed and much of the site is scheduled as a Conservation Area.
Our brief was for a landscape led masterplan and detailed design of the site as part of its redevelopment for residential use. Our design needed to be sensitive to the original layout and setting of the listed buildings, whilst bringing life back to the environment surrounding these important historic buildings.
- Three central ‘Garden Squares’
- The old Parade Ground transformed into a large formal lawn
- A series of landscape spaces of varied scale, character and function, rich and diverse for people and nature
- A mix of grassland, woodland and wetland habitats
- Sustainable urban drainage network
- Sensory rich environment
- Bold use of herbaceous planting