John Madejski Academy is a 1150-pupil academy in Reading, UK. In designing the landscape, our aim was to integrate the inside and outside worlds to create an uplifting and functional environment for pupils, parents and the local community.
- A covered, unheated, internal space for sitting, teaching, exhibitions and events
- Outdoor teaching and social areas
- Fruit and nut trees, grass areas and seating enclosures
- Terraced area for outdoor performances
- A sinuous swale – the Ha-ha – planted with reeds and irises
- Tree copses, gardens and hard surfaces in the outdoor spaces
- A multi-use games area, plus activity and agility trail